Learning to be a Blessing

Ich bin...
[Tana]. Child of God. Teacher. Youth leader. Music-minded. Blessed.
Ich liebe...
[Jesus]. My Family. My Church. P & W. Mission Trips. Music. Prayer. Traveling. Writing. Drama. Sunshine. Languages. Photography. Badminton. Nature. Snail Mail. Fruit. Green. Simplicity. Listening.

18 December 2003
oooh a day off finally (...holiday, really??) - this day was self-created more than anything else, since i just found out i have to go into the office for two full days of my initially scheduled vacation for evaluative purposes.

just spent about two hours taking the NT I final - no complications with server failure or anything like that, thank goodness.

i first heard and was impressed by the song "my will" by dc Talk a couple of years ago when i purchased the EXODUS cd. here is a reflection from the solid sounds website on this piece:

Have you heard this song by dc Talk? Have you read the lyrics?

Complexity haunts me for I am two men
Entrenched in a battle that I'll never win
My discipline fails me, my knowledge it fools me


Those three lines remind me of the words of Paul in Romans 7:15, 21-24 (NIV):

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin….What a wretched man I am!"

These lines of scripture and "My Will" point clearly to the battle within all who follow Christ (and with amazingly graphic words-complexity, haunts, entrenched; war, prisoner, wretched). We are entrenched in a battle and we cannot, dare not, depend on our discipline, knowledge or rights to be victorious.

How does dc Talk finish this stanza?

Complexity haunts me for I am two men
Entrenched in a battle that I'll never win.
My discipline fails me, my knowledge it fools me


He concludes:

But You are my shelter, all the strength that I need.

Paul says it this way, "Thanks be to God-through Jesus Christ our Lord! The mind of sinful man is death but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace. You…are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you" Romans 7:25, 8:6, 9 (NIV).

Paul found and dc Talk sings:

I'm learning to give up the rights to myself
The bits and the pieces I've gathered as wealth
Could never compare to the joy that You bring me
The peace that You show me is the strength that I need.


We only win this struggle by giving up completely to God. I have to give up the rights to myself and just trust Christ, who lives in me, trust He loves me, He is working in my life, nothing comes to me that first does not pass through His hand.

And through His Spirit I have the peace and the strength to live a life pleasing to Him.

posted by simplejoys @ 12:00 |
Archives
Friends' Sites: